It’s a new year again, a time when many of us choose to reflect on last year and plan ahead for the coming year. How do you choose your resolutions for the year? I usually spend quite some time on this for myself as well as with my clients. But here is an abbreviated 10 step process you can follow to create effective New Year’s Resolutions:
1. What was 2016 about for you?
2. What lessons have you learned in 2016 that you want to carry into 2017?
3.Pick an area of your life that is important to you (This could be Friendships, Family, Significant Other, Career, Health/Self Care, Personal Growth, Spirituality/Faith, Physical Environment, Personal Finances, Community, or Fun & Recreation/Hobbies, etc.) For the area that you picked, answer the following questions:
4. What do you want to change in 2017?
5. What do you want to start doing in 2017?
6. What do you want to let go of or stop doing in 2017?
7. What are you ready to commit to doing in the first 3 months of 2017?
8. Let’s make sure that the intentions you set will actually make you happy! Research tells us that to be happy, we need to set goals that we choose ourselves, that are meaningful to us, and where we actually enjoy every step of the journey. (You can read more at : How To Set Goals That Make You Happy) So ask yourself:
a. Is this something you really want to do, or is this something you are doing because society tells you to or others are expecting from you?
b. Is this meaningful and important to you? (Are you doing this because of a deep personal belief or a strong interest?)
c. How can you make sure that you will enjoy and savor every step of the journey on your way to your goal?
9. What will 2017 be about for you?
10. Celebrate and acknowledge yourself – but don’t wait until the end! We often think that reaching a goal will make us happy. And while it does bring us a sense of accomplishment, it is really the enjoyment of the journey that brings us the most happiness. So let’s make our journey a fun one!
Last year turned out to be about learning to be there for others without sacrificing myself. There were many challenges that allowed me to practice, and I became better at setting personal policies as a result. (See: A Surprising Way Successful Women Reduce Stress).
For this coming year, I want to get the right support to get things done. When I look at what has enabled me to take important steps in my life in the past (change careers, create a Website, find a new relationship, begin holding workshops etc.) I was always able to make tremendous progress with the help of someone (like a coach I worked with or a program I enrolled in). I know that it’s easy for me to believe that I can do things on my own, but the truth is that it’s much more effective, faster and more fun to get the support and accountability I need to make progress. So here I go!
What is your resolution for 2017?
Manuela loves helping smart and compassionate women create a career and life they love, while feeling more confident and fulfilled! You can visit Manuela’s Website for Success Life and Career Coaching.